1. God’s ways are not our ways – “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord” (Isaiah 55:8).
2. “God mocks proud mockers” (Proverbs 3:34)
3. “God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him” (I Corinthians 1:27-29).
4. God’s mercy is shocking. “Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy… Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life” (I Timothy 1:13,15-16).
5. God restores His servants – “I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten” (Joel 2:25). “In that day you will say: ‘I will praise you, O Lord. Although you were angry with me, your anger has turned away and you have comforted me” (Isaiah 12:1). “For a brief moment I abandoned you, but with deep compassion I will bring you back. ‘In a surge of anger I hid my face from you for a moment, but with everlasting kindness I will have compassion on you,’ says the Lord your Redeemer’” (Isaiah 54:7-8).“…weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning (Psalm 30:5). “Again you will take up your tambourines and go out to dance with the joyful” (Jeremiah 31:4). “You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy” (Psalm 30:11). “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul” (Psalm 23:1-3).
learning to rest in our God,