“I’m in love! I’m in love! And I don’t care who knows it!” (Buddy the elf). But how can you know if it’s love or some kind of counterfeit emotion?
Here’s a helpful check list to distinguish love from infatuation.
- Test of Time – Love benefits and grows through time; infatuation ebbs and diminishes with time.
- Test of Knowledge – Love grows out of an appraisal of all the known characteristics of the other person. Infatuation may grow out of an acquaintance with only one of these characteristics known about the other person.
- Test of Focus – Genuine love is other-person centered. Infatuation is self-centered.
- Test of Singularity – Genuine love is focused on only one person. An infatuated individual may be “in love” with two or more persons simultaneously.
- Test of Security – Genuine love requires and fosters a sense of security and feelings of trust. An infatuated individual seems to have a…
View original post 293 more words