What is an acceptable dress code for Christians?
I believe that the authenticity of our witness to the gospel will be deeply compromised if we dress inappropriately.
Share this dress code with others.
“Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity” (Colossians 3:12-14).
Questions for deeper reflection
- How does the description of being “God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved” lead to the clothing of “compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience”?
- Should we first focus on these identity descriptions to encourage people to dress appropriately?
- Is there any piece of clothing missing from your wardrobe? (Compassion? Kindness? Humility? Gentleness? or Patience?)
- Is it possible that Colossians 3:12-14 describes the clothing of the poor in spirit who inherit the Kingdom of Heaven? (Matthew 5:3)
- Share this with your leadership team and your Church family.
- Emphasize this dress code as necessary to a gospel-centered community.
- Look closely at Philippians 2:1-11 in light of this dress code.