Does the Bible reveal reasons for unanswered prayers?
Many people request things from God and get frustrated because they don’t receive their desires. Perhaps they’re asking for things that go against God’s will. But there are other possible reasons for unanswered prayer.
Consider eight possible reasons why prayers are not answered by God.
1. Unwilling to obey God’s Word
* Proverbs 28:9 ‘If anyone turns a deaf ear to the Law even his prayers are detestable..’
2. Not doing what pleases to God
* I John 3:22 ‘And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight.’
3. Unwilling to show compassion
* Proverbs 21:13 ‘If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor he too will cry out and not be answered.’
4. Lack of harmony at home
* I Peter 3:7 ‘Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayer.’
5. Selfish motives
* James 4:3 ‘When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.’
6. Unconfessed sin in our lives
* Psalm 66:18 ‘If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened.’ (see: I John 1:9).
7. Lack of faith
* James 1:6-7 ‘But when He asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord.’
8. An unforgiving heart
* Mark 11:25 ‘And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your father in heaven may forgive you your sins.’