To live fully (as God intended) we need a well-developed vocabulary for understanding
- Creation: our original-story
- Corruption: our back-story
- Grace: our salvation-story
- Growth: our present-story
- Glory: our end-story
If we hope to live well in a painfully complicated and broken world, we must construct life on the truth revealed by God regarding each of the five pillars above.
Our understanding of each part of our story (in combination with the others) must become the lens for the way we look at all of life — in our success and failure; our gains and losses; our suffering and sadness — in our hopes and ambitions.
Another way to frame things
As we think about humanity, we can speak of…
- A glory we had at the beginning (Genesis 1:26-27).
- A glory we fell from (Romans 3:23; 5:12)
- A glory being restored in us (Romans 6:23; II Corinthians 3:18)
- A glory fully restored despite our present suffering (Philippians 3:20-21)
“I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us” (Romans 8:18).