The gospel is the good news about what God has done to make it possible for us to be forgiven and restored to fellowship with Him. This good news is centered in Jesus Christ.
A summary of the gospel is outlined in II Corinthians 5:17-21.
See also – What is the gospel? by D. A. Carson – The Biblical gospel
Gospel-centered living happens when three tenses are always kept in view…
- What we were apart from Christ (past)
- What we already have in Christ (present)
- What we will have through Christ (future)
- Titus 3:5-6 – “He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior.”
- Galatians 2:21 – ”if right standing with God could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”
- Colossians 3:1-4 – “Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand. Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God. And when Christ, who is your life, is revealed to the whole world, you will share in all his glory.”
Gospel-centered living is based on two confessions
- Romans 7:24 – “What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death (my imprisonment to sin)?
- Romans 7:25 – “Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!” (“There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” – 8:1)
Reflection: “There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by God’s grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus” (Romans 3:22-24). (see: Romans 3:19-20). “For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all” (Romans 11:32).
Have you responded to what God has done for you through Jesus Christ?
Express your need to God
“God, I admit that I am a sinner both by nature and by practice. I desire things I should not desire and I have done many things that don’t please you. I have lived my life for myself. I deserve to be punished for my sin. But I believe that Jesus Christ died for me to pay the debt I owe.”
“Today, the best I know how, I am placing my trust in Jesus Christ as my Savior. I am turning to you for forgiveness and salvation. I believe that you sent Jesus Christ to pay the penalty my sin deserves. I believe that when he died on the cross, his death was for my salvation. Through Jesus death and resurrection, you did what I could not do for myself.”
“I thank you right now for the gift of eternal life promised to those who believe in Jesus Christ. I now turn my life over to you. I thank you that by believing in Jesus Christ I can be your forgiven child and be completely assured that I will never perish but have eternal life with you. Help me to always recognize that my relationship with you is only based on what Jesus did for me. Protect me from the kind of pride that thinks that I can do what is needed to make myself right with you.”
Reflect on these Scriptures: Luke 18:9-13; John 3:16-18; Romans 10:9; II Corinthians 5:17-21; Ephesians 2:8-10;
Share this with others.