I do not believe in religion. Religion is a human attempt to find the way to God. It’s an empty and hopeless pursuit of something God already did for us.
The gospel is good news about God’s loving pursuit of sinners who run from Him.
Religion always involves traditions, rituals and laws that are used to try to gain God’s favor. But none of these things will work.
Please don’t confuse religion with God’s plan for our relationship with him.
Opposite of religion
- “We know that a person is made right with God by faith in Jesus Christ, not by obeying the law… For no one will ever be made right with God by obeying the law. For if keeping the law could make us right with God, then there was no need for Christ to die” (Galatians 2:16,21).
- “God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it” (Ephesians 2:8-9).
- “This is good and pleases God our Savior, who wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth. For there is only one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity—the man Christ Jesus. He gave his life to purchase freedom for everyone. This is the message God gave to the world at just the right time” (I Timothy 2:3-6).
Religion is man’s effort to find God. The gospel is God’s love seeking broken sinners who cannot please him.
- “For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin, so that we could be made right with God through Christ” (II Corinthians 5:21).
- “God showed how much he loved us by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. This is real love—not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins” (I John 4:9-10).