1. Mutual Accountability – two-way
- Hebrews 3:12-13 – (Protecting) – “See to it, brothers (or, “watch out for one another”), that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.” (see: Watching out for one another)
- Hebrews 10:24-25 – (Provoking) – “Let us think of ways to motivate (or provoke) one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near” (see: Proverbs 27:17).
2. Mentor Accountability – One-way
- Hebrews 13:17 – “Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.”
- I Thessalonians 5:12-13 – “We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work.”