It is really hard to overemphasize how important it is for us to understand the role of the Holy Spirit of God in our lives. Whatever happens in our lives that brings us to God and conforms us to God’s image is a direct work of the Holy Spirit.
Allow me to share a few essentials with you and then take time to listen to the audio message I gave titled: The Spirit Filled Life (link below).
The Spirit is involved in four primary ways at the moment one turns to Jesus Christ as Savior and receives God’s gift of salvation (John 1:12; Romans 6:23).
- Regeneration: We receive spiritual life from the Holy Spirit (Ti. 3:5; Eph. 2:1; I Jn. 5:11-12)
- Indwelling: All Christians are indwelt by the Holy Spirit (Rom. 8:9; I Cor. 6:19-20; II Cor. 1:21-22).
- Baptism: At salvation, “we all were immersed in one Spirit, so as to become one body” (I Cor. 12:3; Matt. 3:11). In the book of I Corinthians, Paul recognized different levels of spiritual growth and different spiritual gifts among the believers in Corinth. Yet, placing himself with them, he wrote, “we all were immersed with one Spirit…” The Corinthian reference (12:13) supplies definition of the historical illustrations in Acts 19:1-7).
- Sealing: The Spirit who regenerates and indwells each believer is the seal of security guaranteeing the completion of our salvation (Eph. 1:13; 4:30; II Cor. 1:21-22).
The Scripture speaks of:
- Walking by the Spirit
- Being led by the Spirit
- Bearing the fruit of the Spirit
- Keeping in step with the Spirit
- Sowing to the Spirit
- Being filled with the Spirit
For a detailed study about the Holy Spirit, see here.
The key to living the life God wants us to live is the Holy Spirit—particularly—being filled with the Spirit! It’s not an option in Scripture but a command. Are you a Spirit filled person? How do you know if someone is filled with the Spirit? Click the link below to find answers to these important questions:
Audio link: The Spirit Filled Life
For detailed notes: What does the Spirit filled life look like?