God’s design for Church leadership is for each individual congregation to be led by a group of men designated as elders.
Elder is the title for the leadership position, whereas overseer and pastor are terms used for the work of the leader. Evidence would indicate that the terms elder, overseer and pastor all refer to the same person/leader (I Peter 5:1-2; Titus 1:5,7; Ephesians 4:11). The fact that the title elder is primarily used in the plural form in the NT (e.g. Acts 14:5; Titus 1:5; James 5:14) indicates that the ruling body in each local church was a plurality of godly men identified as elders. Although women will minister in many ways related to the ministry of elders, Scripture forbids women from holding the office of elder in the local Church (I Timothy 2:11-13; 3:1-2, 4). I realize that this position is not widely held anymore, but I cannot be honest with the Scripture referenced and reach another conclusion.
How can one know if God has called him to this honorable work?
The following considerations are important:
7 points about calling:
- Desire to serve as an overseer (I Timothy 3:1)
- Qualification for eldership (I Timothy 3:1-6;Titus 1:5ff)
- Life experience in leadership (I Timothy 3:4-5)
- Demonstration of a shepherd’s heart (I Peter 5:1-4)
- Spiritual giftedness (I Timothy 4:14;Romans 12:3ff.)
- Capable of being a team member (plural leadership is God’s design– Acts 14:23; 20:17,28; I Tim.3:1ff; 5:17; Eph. 4:11; I Pet.5:1-4)
- Formal testing and recognition by spiritual leaders (Titus 1:5,9;Acts 14:23)
The qualifications listed in I Timothy 3 and Titus 1 along with the objective considerations above must be given authority over feelings, experiences and giftedness. On this account, it’s possible to disqualify oneself from fulfilling a call.
10 points on the role of pastors:
For a clearer understanding of the duties of pastoral leadership, consider the following:
- Training and appointing other leaders (II Tim. 2:2; Titus 1:5; Acts 14:23)
- Leadership, admonishment (I Thess. 5:12; Heb. 13:17)
- Ministering the Word (Titus 1:9; I Tim. 5:17; Heb. 13:7)
- Representation (Acts 20:17)
- Spiritual oversight (Heb. 13:17)
- Governing the believers (I Tim. 5:17)
- Equipping (Eph. 4:11-12)
- Spiritual restoration (Gal. 6:1-2)
- Refuting false doctrine (Titus 1:9)
- Guarding the flock (Acts 20:17, 28-31)