The Holy Spirit is God’s gift to His people at salvation. The Spirit is the source for living a life that pleases to God.
The time you received the Holy Spirit: At salvation
“And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession–to the praise of his glory” (Ephesians 1:13-14).
“God…saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior” (Titus 3:5-6)
- The Spirit in our hearts – “Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come” (II Corinthians 1:21-22). “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?” (I Corinthians 6:19)
- The Spirit in the Church – “Don’t you know that you (plural) yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit lives in you?” (I Corinthians 3:16)
- The Spirit changes us – “And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit” (II Corinthians 3:18).
- Yielding to the Spirit – “So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life” (Galatians 5:16,25;6:8).
- Be filled with the Spirit – “Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ (Ephesians 5:18-21).
The Holy Spirit: (Source)
|Access to God – Eph. 2:18||Inspires prayer – Eph. 6:18; Jude 20|
|Anoints for Service – Luke 4:18||Intercedes –Rom. 8:26|
|Assures – Rom. 8:15-16; Gal. 4:6||Interprets Scripture – 1 Cor. 2:1,14;
|Authors Scripture – 2 Pet. 1:20-21||Leads – Rom. 8:14|
|Baptizes – John 1:23-34; 1 Cor. 12:13-14||Liberates – Rom. 8:2|
|Believers Born of – John 3:3-6||Molds Character – Gal. 5:22-23|
|Calls and Commissions – Acts 13:24; 20:28||Produces fruit – Gal. 5:22-23|
|Cleanses – 1 Thess. 3:13; 1 Pet. 1:2||Empowers Believers – Luke 24:49|
|Convicts of sin – John 16:9,14||Raises from the dead – Rom. 8:11|
|Creates – Gen. 1:2; Job 33:4||Regenerates – Titus 3:5|
|Empowers – 1 Thess. 1:5||Sanctifies – Rom. 15:16|
|Fills – Acts 2:4; 4:29-31; 5:18-20||Seals – Eph. 1:1314; 4:30|
|Gives gifts – 1 Cor. 12:8-11||Strengthens – Eph. 3:16; Acts 1:8; 2:4;
1 Cor. 2:4
|Glorifies Christ – John 16:14||Teaches – John 14:26|
|Guides in truth – John 16:13||Testifies of Jesus – John 15:26|
|Helps our weakness – Rom. 8:26||Victory over flesh – Rom. 8:2-4; Gal. 4:6|
|Indwells believers – Rom. 8:9-14; Gal. 4:6||Worship helper – Phil. 3:3|
* An audio message I gave on the Spirit-filled life at a conference in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Listen here